+ 44 (0) 1844 218 957
+ 44 (0) 1844 218 956
Independent Financial Adviser est. 1988
French and Spanish Mortgage Brokers
French Tax Planning Specialists

As an owner of a French property am I treated as a resident in France or in the UK?

Your tax residence dictates to which tax authorities you declare your worldwide income and gains. But there may be circumstances when you need to submit declarations and pay tax in both France and the UK.
The Anglo-French Double Taxation Treaties (DTT) determines an individual’s tax-residency,for almost all taxes you’ll face, irrespective of the laws of each contracting State. Your tax residence is a matter of fact, not an election of choice. Even if under the internal rules you are resident in both France and the UK, the DTT will render you resident in  one or the other state.
At Charles Hamer we will help you determine where you are tax resident and to which authorities you’ll need to declare tax and on what income and gains you will be taxed.